D.E. Shaw paid $10 million. I hope somebody is getting a whistleblower payment for this? Maybe the easiest lucrative job in finance is:
- Take a job at a hedge fund.
- Get handed an employment agreement on the first day that says “you agree not to disclose any of our secrets unless required by law.”
- Take the agreement home with you.
- Circle that sentence in red marker, write “$$$$$!!!!!” next to it and send it to the SEC.
- The SEC extracts a $10 million fine.
- They give you $3 million.
- You can keep your job! Why not; it’s illegal to retaliate against whistleblowers.
- Or, you know, get a new one and do it again.
Source: SEC: Whistleblowers – Bloomberg